The Northern Highlands Benefice (NHB) is a group of four Episcopal churches in the Episcopal Diocese of Eau Claire. Currently, we share leadership with Father Dave Bauer, Pastor Terry Stratton, (retired ELCA Lutheran Church), Deacon Marlene Hogue, and Deacon Bramwell Richards. Each parish maintains their own Vestry, property, and finances, while sharing in oversight of the Benefice. Two parishioners from each church serve on the Benefice Board. Our four churches come together throughout the year to worship, support each other in our life of faith, share in events and care for our surrounding communities.
Serving on the Vestry of Northern Highlands Benefice
Joe Burnap & Eileen Yeakley
Serving on the Vestry of Grace Church
Rob Funck, Sr. Warden
Craig Fowler, Jr. Warden
LaVonne Thompson, Clerk
Tom Yeakley, Treasurer
What We Believe
We Episcopalians believe in a loving, liberating, and life-giving God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. As constituent members of the Anglican Communion in the United States, we are descendants of and partners with the Church of England and the Scottish Episcopal Church, and are part of the third largest group of Christians in the world.
We believe in following the teachings of Jesus Christ, whose life, death, and resurrection saved the world.
We have a legacy of inclusion, aspiring to tell and exemplify God’s love for every human being; women and men serve as bishops, priests, and deacons in our church. Laypeople and clergy cooperate as leaders at all levels of our church. Leadership is a gift from God, and can be expressed by all people in our church, regardless of sexual identity or orientation.
We believe that God loves you – no exceptions.
- 1879 First services were held in the Town Hall. The Rev. P.B. Morrison came from Christ Church, Eau Claire
- 1881 A mission was formally organized.
- 1884 The first services were held in a new church building.
- 1952 The present church building was completed.
- 2001 The rectory was sold and moved to make room for an addition that is fully handi-cap accessible. The current sanctuary will seat 100 people comfortably and we worship in air-conditioned comfort in the summer months.
- St. Mark’s Chapel was also added in 2001, using many of the furnishings from the former St.Mark’s Episcopal Church in Barron, WI. The chapel has been used for Morning and Evening Prayer services, for visitations before a funeral, for smaller weddings, and for private prayer. It will seat approximately 24 people.
- Fall, 2020: Grace Church joins in the formation of the Northern Highland Benefice.